Sunday, November 27, 2022

Journey On!


 We wrapped up Utah with a couple of nice, or more spectacular than nice, views and visits. We were in


Zion National Park which of course was crowded and no dogs on trails so we drove the main thoroughfare a couple of times. I am glad I got my National Park Pass and we don't pay for as many times as we want to go in the parks. There was a nice dog friendly park in Springdale, the next town over for hiking so we did that a couple days and she seemed to enjoy. A little rushing river, a few doggie hellos.

Regrettably we had to stay at an RV Park (Nov. 22,23 check out on 24) but were plugged in so had plenty of heat and electricity for microwaves and such. Still not roughing it! I am thankful for my plug in heater which backs up the propane van one. (Which is also a pain to run out of- which we did and because of the crowds of RV folks there was none to be had in 3 stops) I am able to have coffee in the morning, heating up water in the microwave. 

Leaving Zion we really didn't have plans on where to go which is not good out West on a holiday. Happy Thanksgiving. We swung over to a ghost town I had heard about down a dusty gravel road. It was where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was filmed and was very western. Interesting how and where settlers came out here and what they did. Mostly planted fruit trees. When you think about that it is sort of amazing to cart little saplings on your

Gina looks for ghosts, or even mice.
wagon train. Lots of Mormon stories- some horrendous. 

I thought to head for the Valley of Fire in Nevada, thinking there wouldn't be anyone there- Wrong. Carry on- Another 10 miles to an RV park on Lake Meade which was nice and quiet. Saw a shadowy coyote in the campground. Gina got to see some dogs. She smelled the coyote but didn't know how exciting that was. Good.

The next day we continued into Nevada. I was struck by the change of the mountains character. It made me think of the character of each of the mountainy places. Arches was like a well trained choir of holy voices. Bryce was the singing of Angels, high and ethereal, Zion was a concert of sopranos, big and round and spectacular but the Nevada stretch I drove through was growly and ominous. Big dark round forbidding rocks. Sorta gave me the heeby-jeebies.

We were heading for the tiny town of Rachel on the Extraterrestial highway. On the way we passed a

lovely lake with golden cottonwood trees and willows. I saw a sign for camping so we stopped to check it out and got a superlative site right on the lake. There was no plug in but the batteries were enough. I also had a ready made salad so dinner was no problem. In the morning we walked halfway around the lake and saw the most wonderful birds- Tundra swans, ring necked ducks, Several kinds of grebes, great blue herons, coots, cinnamon teals, a harrier hawk that was searching for a duck breakfast, ..well, you get the idea... Lots of cool birds.

Rachel- Down a REALLY boring desert road near Area 51. Nothing there but the Ale'i Inn. So I had to see what that was about. Had a chili dog in this dive-y bar filled with tacky alien souvenirs. Good chili dog. Walked around a little bit but then decided to skip Area 51 and get outta town.
Woof! I am glad I did not plan to spend the night there! Back tracked out of there, heading towards California. Lots of driving!

Found a campsite at a place called Cottonwood Resort. Perhaps it used to be a resort but with Lake Meade being so dry most activities were caput. Houseboats all at moorings. No one on 'em that I could tell. But pretty enough. I was glad to have a 12V blanket as there was no electrical hookup but the bathrooms were still open. (These things are important)

Here are some other pictures that I couldn't get to cooperate in placement. There are some also on my FB page.



No comments:

Post a Comment