Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Napa Valley

 Landing on my feet seems to be something I have always been lucky at. Mind you, I say lucky and not


skilled. I left the Santa Ynez area to head north to see my cousin in Napa, California. On the way I stayed at a lovely campground near Gilroy called Coyote Lake on the side of Henry Coe State Park. 

Then the rains began. The atmospheric river that is playing such havoc with northern and central CA. I was going to stay a couple days but it looked as though the rain was going to hang out and what is the

point of being holed up in your van? Yes, I could have hiked but then you have wet towels, dog, clothes- well, I decided to pay my cousin an earlier visit than originally described and head to Napa. Good decision. 

Her house is very lovely, warm and dry, the dogs got along very well and it serves as a good base of roaming. We have been able to get out and about seeing the beautiful countryside, wining and dining and being lazy in the evenings, which suits me fine. The rain has been on and off which has allowed me to take Gina on some nice walks at nearby dog parks or city parks. I got to see other cousins who fed me delicious mushroom soup at their home and winery. Just being here has been restorative.

Napa is so green with all this rain, the volcanic hills are covered in a soft blanket. Many of the vineyards are standing in water which will continue to increase as the rivers of rain continue but it is a dormant period now in winter so all hope things will drain off. The water table continues to improve so this weather is a two edged sword for this area of CA. In other places the floods have been hugely destructive

and folks have been evacuated. Sadly, the luck of the draw. I am grateful to be in a house and not camping. The weather has chased me for this trip and certainly shaped my journey. 

The food has been a delight, as well as the wine. Christine, my cousin has a terrific market at the bottom of the hill which feeds out fancies, like Dungeness crab. Local restaurants raise the bar on their own menus and offer fresh and attractive plates for lunch and dinner. One place we went to was a bit over the top but also fun to eat in with chandeliers and 150 year old olive trees growing inside the restaurant. Leisurely eating is a great way to pass inclement weather!

Here are some pics of the week. I will be heading back East soon, not hurrying, heading for the Texas coast to see birds and catch some sun.

Dog walks have been in oak woods and open fields. Gina prefers the fields so she can investigate ground squirrels







No comments:

Post a Comment